Sunday, March 13, 2005

Sex Life?

My addictions are all emotional ones. My love for this particular two-disc set is something I deal with on an ongoing basis. I don't just listen to them, I relapse.

I got back into Revelling/Reckoning, specifically the second disc Reckoning by stumbing into the opening chords to"grey" while I was screwing around on old singy. Its an incredibly simple song, but Ani Difranco is one of the few artists I don't automatically try to mimic; the only reason I didn't know it already. Once I realized that I could play it, I naturally had to put grey in the old songbook, which means digestion of the lyrics...which brings us here again.

I've figured it out. Assume that the human soul where emotion is from. Reckoning is sex for your soul ...and its fucking good sex too. I don't need to go into all the stages of courtship and compare them to the album, I'm sure that stuff fills itself in. The interesting part centers around grey. Grey is a song that succinctly captures that feeling of nothingness that we shouldn't feel, but sometimes do. Grey is definitely the initial orgasm.

It isn't an orgasm of pleasure though...its something else. Where sex = friction to your body resulting in pleasure, that song, and all of the album before it create friction with the soul resulting something I like to call an emorgasm. Its a tough sensation to distinguish from pleasure, as there is certainly pleasure involved in that I enjoy the music, but its obviously non-sexual ...catch my drift? Well I'm going to just move on before I get too lost here.

So there's an emorgasm, a catharsis if you will(although abuse of that word in Grade 12 drama class has left me eternally desensitized to it). It feels so good, then there is this feeling of release as it ends, and I don't feel like paying any attention to the next song, "subdivision". I just don't care. I'm sure its a good song, but even though I leave the CD on, I am just not paying attention to it. Its an emotional refractory period. Come to think of it, despite the number of times I have heard all of them, I couldn't name any of the four songs, with the obvious exception of subdivision, between grey and the next emorgasm on that album.

Yeah, there's two, that's why its fucking good sex. After the first, this album rests a bit, it hums softly to itself but soon its gentle caresses gradually become more intense, and next thing you know, you're at it again. This time its "school night" a song about choosing between two full, nearly equal loves and the tragedy that is the one left behind. This is the second emorgasm, follwed by track 14(the cigarette) then revelling(some playful cuddling and smiles all around) then the final track lulls you into a peaceful slumber.

I know that right now there is nobody in the world who seems in more dire need of a girlfriend, but believe me, this is just the relationship I have with good tunes. I apologize if I've confused or hurt anybody.

I should point out that lyrically, grey and school night are two of the best songs ever in my opinion. Geez that was long, I really am spent...

4 Comments:

At 10:44 PM, Blogger Valacosa said...

1) "...seems in more dire need of a girlfriend" You're just asking for a pissing contest here. I'll have no part of it though. I've found it difficult to be bitter about being lonely lately. Yeah, I'm still lonely, but not bitter about it - there are greater tragedies to befall mankind.

2) Given the length and content of your post, I pictured you smoking a cigarette after writing this.

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger Darren said...

yeah, I felt like it, geez, and normally I can't even hold an unlit cigarette in my mouth without coughing...

Just to clarify, that the reason I pointed out girlfriend need was to distinguish it from my music love. I recognize that I may SEEM overly lonely, but that is simply not the case for the moment. I pointed it out as insistance that my thoughts on the revelling/reckoning are independant of my current "social status". Like you Davenport, I recognize that there are much bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Secondly, why the pissing match? Why do we always think that OUR loneliness is the worlds greatest loneliness? And I'm not excempt, I do it too...Its not enough to be in general longing...it always has to be some kind of tragedy...and that's a kind of tragedy in itself...dammit! Look at me, I'm doing it RIGHT NOW!! THERE ARE NO GREAT TRAGEDIES OF HUMAN NATURE!!

Anybody up for ice cream?

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Jim said...

You so crazy.

H0mi3!

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Margatron said...

well well well
Looks like your blog is starting to pick up some readership. neato

 

Post a Comment

<< Home