Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Hey, it's a Jesus reference

...Jesus was a euchre player. He went alone on nothing and took all the apostles to school in their six-team tourneys(Judas sat out). Aside from feeding the hungry, curing lepers and that wine making one, it was his coolest miracle. Like I'm talking ace, ten, off-ace, he'd make it on the fucking king! The three wise men? yeah, they were just looking for a fourth...


I was playing guitar on the porch with my good pal André at a house on the corner of Erb and Dunbar, when who should wander by with blizzards in hand but Dave, Steve and Chris...

The story goes that Dave Bertenshaw, Steve McCourt and Chris J.(it's silent) Abela were sitting around in Aurora on Saturday. None of them had work to go to, Dave had plans to hang out with the GF, but they were fudgable. Euchre was at hand, but they needed a fourth.

Sure, they could have called Verity(too busy), Sam(no answering machine) or Anya(never seems to be able to figure out the damn rules) but that would've been too easy. If this was to be the greatest euchre game in history, they would need a more hard earned fourth euchre player. That fourth man was me.

The three of them grabbed some beer and buds, hopped into Chris' car and began the journey to Waterloo. They knew where my house was, they knew I worked at a place called "Bomber" and that I might be in some kind of "Imprint office." Of course they had no clue where Bomber or the office are, so they basically drove to my house and asked random people "Do you know Darren?" or just, "Where is Darren?"

They picked a direction and wandered around, got high, went to DQ, continued wandering and found me. They were trying to get to a bar which would somehow be close to Margie's house then Margie would know where I could be found. These were never actual plans, because "if we make plans, they can only go wrong" as Chris in his wisdom, told me. These guys don't know Waterloo and they had no idea where I would be. The odds of them actually finding me are astonishing. It could only have been planned by the Lord, my father God.

So we went to the bar, discussed the uncannyness of our encounter and the cosmic weight of our upcoming Euchre game before heading back to my house to actualize it. By random draw, it was myself and Dave(AKA D-team) versus Steve and Chris (A-team).

It was a best two-out-of-three game. D-team took the first game. A-team rallied and took the secon. The rubber match got to a score of 9-5 for D-team, then I decided to go blind alone for a possible 8 points. I called hearts. I had the ten(for you non euchre-er-ers[um euchrists?] that = bad) and was euchred for to bring the score to game point for each of us. Needless to say, D-team won.

We switched up teams and played another round(which I won too, damn not to say I'm miraculous or anything, but I seem to be quite the euchrist).

The next morning I woke to find that they had left as mysteriously as they had appeared. There was even an eerie mist on the driveway where Chris' car had been parked.


...And the Lord said "No face, no ace, no trump, bitches"...

10 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Blogger Margatron said...

It was a night for the annals for sure! And it was the ten of clubs for your blind alone hand... not that I was paying attention or anything!

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Daven said...

I think d-team could take on Jesus, depends who his partner is.

 
At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmmm who would be his partner? PPJ? (Pope Jean-Paul) d-man you left out the DQ marketing tips. Blizzards sell.

 
At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

-chris ^

 
At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ultimate euchre match would be between the D-team (Darren, Dave) and the J-team (Jesus, John Paul).

D team would come in on the rubber match, not only handing Jesus his own eucharist ass, but also providing crushing irony, as rubbers beat the church.

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate the word euchre. it's such an awkward looking word.

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where in the world is Darren Hutz?
Call the Aurora crew for full details...

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Margatron said...

D-team... devils? ooo! extending the metaphor!

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Darren said...

no, D-team as in Divine

(duh)

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmm...D-team was my demise. I'd have to say Dung-Team?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home