Friday, December 16, 2005

Hutzmas: a history

I only vaguely recall what Hutzmas actually is.

It's a little holiday I celebrate with whomever is around and willing on the 13th of December. Why the thirteenth? Maybe for #13 Mats Sundin of the Toronto Maple Leafs? Maybe because it is unlucky, and I like to take chances? I don't know, I think it was just random.

I came up with Hutzmas when I was in grade 10. At the time I was frustrated with the fact that people only feel the need to be nice to each other on two days in the whole year. Xmas and birthdays. Those are the only days we (well, the christian-based "we"), feel compelled to give gifts to each other, in a general sense. I guess I just picked a random day before xmas that I would give equally random gifts to my friends, randomly. The gifts were always decidedly crude, poorly wrapped and cheap, but I try to make reference to some inside joke, or failing that give lots of cheap candy. It only works in Aurora, and you probably won't get it.

Practially, I found it easier to give xmas presents to friends before the holidays. I could get everyone in one place easy instead of driving around to everyone's houses on xmas eve. I continue to do it mostly because I enjoy continuing things beyond their practical contexts as a sort of fuck-you to practical contexts.

Anyho, a Goodly Hutzmas to you!
May you too recieve gifts of a random and hilarious nature!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home